Our History

Our library began on January 28, 1953.  From the minutes of the first meeting:  “Following initial steps taken by the Crossfield Home and School Association at their meeting on November 19, 1952, a meeting was called to order on Wednesday, January 28, 1953 in the Crossfield High School by Mr. Tom  Bland for the purpose of hearing the reports from the representatives of local organizations regarding the formation of a Public Library for the cultural and educational benefit of the people of the Village of Crossfield and the surround territory.”

Initially the books were kept in boxes in the ladies cloak room at the old Community Hall.  According to Crossfield’s first paid librarian, Ann Grover, the books were brought out and displayed during the library hours and at closing time, they all had to be put back in boxes for another week.  In 1957 the Library Board accepted the use of a back room in the Town Office.

In 1977 when the new arena opened with its indoor skating rink, the Library Board was offered the building used by players and skaters at the outdoor rink in Banta Park.  The Lion’s club undertook the task of renovating the building to be used as the library we have today.

In 2011 renovations were undertaken to allow for the rental of a room from the then "Golden Key Club" so that we could have a larger space for our children's programming and materials.  Finally in the fall of 2015, we started renovating the old Oliver Hotel and Bar on Railway Street as the home of our new library.